the beauty of dance
Went to the HELP Inter-College Dance Competition 2009 yesterday, @ KLPAC.
KLPAC itself was such a *toot* to find because I got lost after picking oji up, man it took us almost an hour to find the place. One wrong turn can be so deadly. Of course, it didn't 'help' that there was the fail woman, and a guy who fails with directions. Ergo... go figure. =P But we made it in the end, so all was well and good =)
When we entered the building, I'll admit I was surprised (in a good way) XD They had a grand piano *outside* in the main area, how cool is that? If I were ever to get my own place, I am *so* going to save up for a baby grand. I think. Heaps and heaps of students and a little section displaying dance shoes.. and alot of the committee members running around making sure everything was going ok. Reminds me a little of Culture Night 07, man I miss those crazy days~
Anyway.
The opening act was 2 very cute kids dancing chacha, and the closing act was an amazing paso doble.
I'm glad to say the winners were well deserved, although the rumba that came as 2nd runner up for the Beginner's category was not what I expected. It should have been the first couple dancing the chacha, they were so much more in sync... and didn't need to resort to the unbuttoning of shirts. Completely unnecessary.
The beginner's category, included some that were really *not* beginners. Like my top 3 favourites:
First couple dancing the chacha: Flashy and quite in sync, set a pretty decent bar for the rest to top.
Third couple dancing rock & roll: The eventual winner for the beginner's category, they were simply amazing! The lead was so lively and cute to boot! Dancing to Christina Aguilera's "Candy Man" and boy was it cute XD Very very very cute. I loved this one, and I'm glad they snagged the main prize. The girl was equally cute too~ it takes two to make this one work, and they did real good alright.
Ninth couple dancing.. rock and roll too I think. I remember this couple had the lead falling down quite a number of times. Violent follow, haha! But it was very entertaining. Good use of the floor, amazing moves and alot of chemistry and confidence.
Then came the more spectacular performances of the night - the Advanced category. My faves of the night:
Third couple dancing rock & roll. Very cute and matching outfits, and just as good as the beginner category~ If you ask me to compare both the performances, I'd get stuck. They're really on par with each other.
Fourth couple dancing salsa. HOT DAMN they've got some damn cool moves. Blew us all away, and the eventual winner of the night. I love the guy's vest too, very sleek. Like the moves, like the entire performance. Especially close to the last bit, aih I don't know where to get the video. If I needed two words to describe it: HOT DAMN.
Because I'm not a HELP student, I don't get what the commotion is with this guy... Aris (or however you spell it, I kept hearing Aeris - I know, geek in me calling for Sephy to backstab her) so when the emcee was saying "Ladies and gentlemen, a round of applause for Aris please" I went "wtf?!"
The ninth couple for the night dancing salsa. Also a good performance, the girl sure can move those hips. And is very quirky onstage *and* offstage. The fishnet stockings don't do you any good girl, they make your thighs look huge. But but but I love that dance too~ it was a good one.
I don't want to go through the sucky performances.. but in general I blame the cause of 'death' to the lack of practice. Some of them just lack the fire so it sizzled out, some of them forgot their moves, some of the follows ended up leading, some of them are good individually but not together, some of them.. just.. well.. let's not go there. Oh, and on a personal note: no matter what happens, do *not* adjust your bra in the middle of a dance. It's hideous to watch.
I loved the encore too, the winners had to perform again, and they were just as spectacular as the first time. LOVE! XD If it's on next year I'm going again.
