Saturday, October 16, 2004

brain food

I was thirsting for a good read since I'm done with Marion Zimmer Bradley's Avalon triology. That stuff is a mix of politics and love and piety to the goddess.

Bought a book:The boy with paper wings by Susan Lowell. This book is funny. About an overimaginative 11-year old boy with viral fever. Okay, out of 30 pages I read so far, there were some really funny bits like this one:

Joe(one of Paul's green clay soldiers):
Get your boyfriend to rescue you..What's his name? That boy Barbie? He has flat feet, hasn't he?

Barbie(yes, it's the doll):
Ken? That wimp? He's never there when I want him. He's always out with some other Barbie, and then he says he can't tell us apart. Ken's like a total airhead!(Whoa, look who's talking~ XD)

And this one made me laugh. Paul has a way with words, this was how he threatened Barbie to cooperate:

Paul:
Listen, this is your only chance. If KRON and the Braindrainers win the war, they;ll take your yacht and your sports car and your castle and implant brains in them and make them do bad work for KRON. They might even put brains in you!

The idea's so cute~ just a pity that Paul's bomb blew her into smithereens. And there's alot on origami planes and birds and boats. Definitely a children's book but who cares, man, it's nice! It's been awhile since I came across a book like this that makes me laugh. I have to hand it to Paul, he has a good eye for detail and creativity... The authoress is so careful to capture the reality of his miniature warfield and his thoughts.