Wednesday, February 9, 2005

chinese new year

okay, as the title goes, happy chinese new year~

and as far as superstition goes, no black clothing, no cleaning the house, no getting angry is the rule of thumb for my household.

of which so far only one's broken; the getting angry part.

Mom was so particularly angry on that day. Her temper could probably be heard a few houses away, which is nothing surprising anymore. When she blows the top, it's real scary. If I was anywhere near, you'd probably catch me dead near her then. Her word is absolute then; any retaliation would cause in another nuclear explosion. Or close.

That aside, today was gooooooood. XD Who can resist the temptation of the new year goodies, like the kuih kapek (every household I go to will have one, wether you like it or not, but I like it~), pineapple tarts (quality varies with each household), huuge prawn crackers and the rest of it. Ooooh~~ and teochew kuih guama makes is still top notch~

The next fun part of chinese new year is definitely the angpau! Personally I don't really mind what's in the angpau, I like the angpau packets itself. Most of the time it's those done promotionally by those carton drink companies, bought off the nearest sundry shop, or dug up after centurions of being left in that dark corner to collect dust (these are pretty easy to identify; they smell musty and have slight discoloration). I've never seen a hand-made one, probably because it's too much trouble. Every angpau looks different, and when you get one with hello kitty or ultraman on the front you always have to have double takes.