Wednesday, January 4, 2006

Selling second-hand textbooks...

are a real pain in the ass.

Number one: I arrived late at the scene. No, I'm not blaming anyone (I think if I seriously ever do, that would be the ultimatum), it just happened to be that mom had an early call. There goes my effort in waking up @ 730am.Hey, for a sleep-in person like me, it takes real effort to wake up early. I shudder to think how I'm going to survive uni without an alarm clock. Ok, so we set off at about 930am, and returned home at 10am cause korg wanted to have a bath. I thought it'd be no big deal since we're already late as is.

When I reached college at bout 11am, first people I recognized were a part of the K3 gang. As for the first person I thought safe to steal some booth space from, it had to be sumei. Sold off my math and specialist math books pretty early off since it's common knowledge that those are the books most used by students, at half price. Mann...I suppose I was just that bit desperate for getting rid of my books. So now I'm still stuck with my physics textbooks and no buyers. Trying my luck again tomorrow.

Number two: There have been a worryingly increasing number of cases of new students being poisoned/brainwashed/intoxicated with the idea that xerox copies of books are banned from use. *rolls eyes* Hello, we wouldn't be able to be selling these off if that ruling had been seriously adhered to. Anyway, you'll find a lot of highlighting and useful notes at the side, all made possible by the joys of normal writeable paper, compared to the glossy stuff you get with an original. You can't even write anything with a pencil (force of habit), and highlighting tends to smear. I suppose that gives us the right to sell originals off at a higher price, at least.

Number three: Are you guys trying to kill us?! Hey, this just doesn't go out to parents, students too. If there's one thing, the parents are even more kiamsiap. And they insist on ridiculously cheap originals. @__@ I mean, we don't offer super-unreasonable prices. Half price is really a steep cut to begin with. I suppose if I were buying, I would want as big a cut as possible,but...*sighs* I guess I don't argue my way through as hard as others. Selling isn't really my thing. I don't like the idea of convincing people, (see how the word 'con' originates from this) in that sense anyway. Which is why I abhor business dealings, but if I have to, I have to. *thinks back on how parents constantly remind me of all the shit they have to go through*

Oh, today also happens to be ken's 2nd day at uni!! Well, he's still at Taylor's Subang so no change of venue, or places to eat..not that he minds it, I guess. If cabana exists, he'll live. hhehehe~ He and jiun are classmates, so no worries of being alienated. Yet. But seeing them, they'll fit in fine.

Met quite abit of people I haven't seen in awhile; rowe, ken, hou, jiun, sooguan, denny, weehoo, chinyuan, liyen, minchiee, anna, eley, tzemeng, karen, sumei, kendrick... the list goes on. Helped rowe lug packs of notes, textbooks and revision stuff for her to sell off since they're freaking heavy. Must be lack of running around, after all, I have been sitting around at home, be it reading some book or online-ing.

Well, there are the cases where people were trying to sell me their textbooks while I'm trying to sell my own. XP Quite amusing actually.

I left at bout 12-something, seeing that the greenhorns (I have been wanting to use this phrase XD) were sitting through their orientation until they're orientated to the fact that the lecturers are really pushing the goodness of Taylor's like selling a health product. That's what was running through my mind at the time anyway.