waitressing...
is a pretty darn tiring job. So I survived my first day on being a waitress @ fish & co.
random fact: its logo compromises of:
- a fish on a stick
- a spoon
- a chilli
- a fork
- a fish hook
- another fish
- the sauce plate
Nothing complicated though; I just walked in, filled in a form and had a little interview session with the manager Vince. I know how I tend to blabber like an idiot but I guess my ‘talkativeness’ (that’s what he called it anyway) worked, and I got hired. Simple happy ending right?
Originally I was supposed to start tomorrow afternoon, but the shoppy called and he asked me if I could start that very afternoon. Bear in mind that I walked home, reached about 4 when he called to go back at 5. I thought, “Hey, I’ve nothing to do, so might as well get a head start.” And off I went to the place I just left.
I was abit distressed at the fact that my mom was against my newly found job. I mean to say that I’m pretty happy I managed to find a job through my own efforts even though this does nothing for my qualifications as a future IT graduate. I understand that it would be better to have worked in the shop korg used to work at (which is a shop selling laptops and other computery stuff) and that I could probably have gotten in easier if korg had a few words with the manager or whoever, not to mention that what I learn there would be more relevant to me as an IT student, but that would beat the ‘fun’ in finding a job. That’s what I think anyway. I don’t like to be forced to do something. I must want to do it to make the effort worth it, otherwise even though I get it I wouldn’t be happy with what I did.
After all, I’m the one that wanted to look for this part-timing stint just to pass time and just involve myself in something new. Prolly cause I’m a pretty spoilt brat whose never been hard up, I’m not in it for the money (to which I know they’re paying me peanuts but it’s still something to be thankful for) which might strike all of you as foolish. After all, what better people to be fools than the young?
He gave me a very musty-smelling and mothball-infested, reeks of body odour but wearable shirt. So as I went to change into it, in my carelessness the disgusting happened. I had forgotten I placed my glasses on my bag, so as I lifted my bag my glasses fell…. into the toilet bowl. Not the sitting kind, the squatting kind.
T_______________________T
It took considerable courage to pick them up, cause I couldn’t possibly afford to flush it away. The only relief(?) I had from the ordeal was that it didn’t stink of anything really. Washing both my hands and my glasses with soap helped alleviate the thought of what I had to go through for my carelessness, so that was that.
The fact that I have to wear jeans and sneakers/sportshoes to work is very welcoming, it’s my comfort wear after all =D
I was introduced to the bartender (Dinesh), the 2 cooks (Faizal and Hakim), the dishwasher (whom everyone calls ‘Makcik’ so I just followed suit), and the floor staff for the shift (Diendran & su yi) who are all really nice people. I guess Dinesh took the liberty of being the jovial type, cracking jokes at a lot of things. Diendran’s quite the typical dude, the one with the messy hair (‘chang chang’ hair in the hokkien slang, courtesy of Vince) and wildish ways. Su yi’s a pharmacy student so I guess she looks the part, being the very sweet girl next door who still knows how to put her foot down when the guys try to get funny.
Some time would need to pass so that I would feel more at ease here. Of course, I didn’t expect to blend right in on the first day so I don’t think I was too open. Open in the sense that I didn’t open my mouth much although I had to for the interview. Then Dinesh had to ask me, “Why so emo lah?!” and “Are you single?” and also a “Charming guy, right?” (while pointing @ Diendran) and all those little things that he likes to ask to initiate conversations which really served its purpose (as conversation openers) so I have to hand it to the guy, he’s good. Not to mention how he likes to tease su yi which I find quite funny to watch.
Closing up involves the regular sweep the floor (which really reminds me of all the times in school and high school which I’ve not done since), mop the floor, set the tables (hahaha yes we’re saving ourselves the trouble when we open up the following day), and move the outside tables and chairs in. I’m not one for domestic housework so I guess I was pretty slow anyway.
Su yi made some brownies which she shared with us. Of course, guys being guys, they had to say “Why is it so small lah?” and “Why so hard one?” and “I bet you bought this, no way you made it..” Its even nicer after being heated up and eaten with ice cream which Vince dug out from one of the freezers. If you ever read this, thanks so much for the brownies X3
Then they did the little bully-the-no0b session which involves a little rap and singing a birthday medley. I don’t think it was anyone’s birthday that day though, just for the heck of it. No biggie, I lived. =D
Vince suddenly attacked me with a question to which this was the answer;
To provide good value food, excellent service and outstanding quality in a relaxing & entertaining environment.
Don’t think I’m going to forget this anytime soon.
