Sunday, May 3, 2009

music to the ears

Went to MPO for "Lat's Window to the World and Chaplin's Modern Times" last night.

For the first part, I could focus more on the music - it had more character than Chaplin's Modern Times. Where it referenced Kampung Boy and Town Boy, the animation was true to the book, and they did a really good one at the kopitiam. After that though the animation felt like a filler just to pass the time, so for this I could really sit and listen to the music and entirely ignore what was on the screen. They also incorporated some familiar tunes (with a little improvision) like (had to Google this =P) Camille Saint-Saens' L'Éléphant (The Elephant) from Le Carnaval des Animaux.. and the other one I couldn't quite remember where I've heard it before.

But the Chaplin film was simply hilarious, and the fluidity in motion as well as his facial expression really blew me away. That's what talent is, and boy did he have it. I feel like watching his other stuff now. =P I mean for a film that didn't use much spoken words, it was really fantastic. The music helped lots, but there were really some parts where it didn't stand out at all - which I think was the point because people were supposed to focus on the film itself. Mostly light and fun, and they (the players) had some breaks in between to let the movie play out.

And as it so happened we got lost trying to get back around that area where Pavillion is - it's jinxed la really! =P