Wednesday, January 21, 2009

on the inauguration

This morning (bout 1AM or so) marks yet another milestone in the history of America.

Obama's Inauguration.

The parades and stuff were pretty boring I guess, but the Navy Band did play some cheesy (quote loga) but cute tunes. Then there was this really weird dress that the First Lady wore.. I dunno man the colour just didn't agree with me, but mom thinks it looks nice. (haha! yea leave it to the ladies to be a fashion critic even in history-making moments)

The musical performance "Air and Simple Gifts" was really good.. It's very light, flowy and probably the first sign of spring that the audience will experience amid the freezing January cold. Loga said Yo-Yo Ma missed a note, but I didn't catch it. The poet reciting by Elizabeth Alexander titled "Praise Song for the Day", hmm... I think reading the actual text would bring the meaning across better, somehow her reading felt a little choppy to me, she seemed to be pausing after every other word. For me, it sort of spoilt the experience, but it's a good poem.

Also during Obama's swearing-in, he fumbled at a line or two apparently (damn I chose the wrong time to take a toilet break) but I don't think it's really his fault either.. the pastor was quite insistent on being mumbly.. I could barely catch it when he had to recite it during Biden's swearing-in. And also, he probably had to really focus on getting his speech out right.

Obama's speech itself was quite moving. At 18 minutes long (phooey! I salute) and filled with truths that they needed to hear, I'd say it was really good. It made most of America stand still to listen to the first few (I dunno, thousand?) words their new president had to say, and he said it with conviction which I hope will be seen through his actions. He's got his ideals up in the air, but yet he's still a realist and I hope he will be able to live up to his promises. He's got a fine kettle of fish to deal with already. His speechwriter is darned good, kudos to that! All the best to him =)

Was googling for my favourite few lines from the benediction by Joseph Lowery. Apparently it's caused quite abit of criticism and quite a few think it's racist and took it with a distaste like eating raw bittergourd. I don't think it's racist, I mean it's a true test of seeing how open you are to taking a few jabs about your own kind. Words can hurt but humanity's the one who just thinks too much into small things like these. Buck up lah.

we ask you to help us work for that day
when black will not be asked to get in back,
when brown can stick around,
when the red man can get ahead,
and when white will embrace what is right.


At the inauguration itself people laughed and took it as it was, a touch of humor to an otherwise pretty droll benediction. But obviously you can't please everyone, and this'll be one of the more debatable topics flopping around the net like a live fish. Apart from the actual speech, that is.

Managed to catch the ending bit of the speech Obama made at the Youth Inaugural Ball (apparently he's got 10 of them to attend... @_@ wah! He'll really be talking till his mouth runs dry) and yes, Mr President cannot dance with his First Lady. They seem awkward dancing, and this isn't me being mean. There were probably a few reasons, one of which the First Lady was wearing this nice white dress which had a train.. so she's probably stepping on the dress half the time they're dancing, and I don't think she'd want to fall over in public. She was shrugging(! like going "wtf are we doing" or "I can't believe we're doing this" kind of shrug) which could be out of some sort of embarassment.. I have no idea. Maybe they shoulda taken some kind of dancing classes. Or maybe there just wasn't enough time for that.. But I loved the "old-school" music, most likely some slow waltzy, swingy music.

Trivia (via the power of Google): The old-school music is actually an instrumental version of Beyonce's "At Last". hmm..