Thursday, February 9, 2006

pause to play

I finished my BRATs application a few hours ago, then retreated to watch mai-HiME. Well it's okay, I guess, but Nagi is so blardy irritating and Mikoto is pretty cute =3 I prefer it when she's X3-ing over mai-chan's cooking.

This is what I wrote in to apply:

What is an individual without family, for this is where the most basic lessons in life are taught. For me, as an individual, these lessons are still in progress. I am the middle child, with an elder brother before me and a younger brother after me. My parents, who have been supportive of all the things that I have done, are also the best sources of advice I will ever have. Let me go through them, one by one.

In most cases where the father is the sterner disciplining body, mine begs to differ. It is my mother who keeps us in line, proper and orderly. She leads a hectic life as a Human Resources Manager in a local IT company, on top of being a workaholic of sorts. Not by choice; rather, she believes in finishing homework before playtime, and that constant stream of homework more often than not drives her up the wall. That aside, she makes scrumptious Sarawak laksa, macaroni and cheese and barbeque along other foods.

My father would be what I call the wise old sage, with words profound in meaning, but alas, never able to reproduce the effect in lesser words. And yet, he is the one who cheers me up, tells silly stories and fascinating truths hard to come by on regular television. He enjoys reminiscing, table tennis and wine, but would gladly give any of those things up for the family and good company of relatives and friends.

My elder brother, whom I call ‘kor’, is four years older than I am, but if it were not for his mature appearance, one would never imagine his boyish nature, He has inherited my father’s passion for silly stories and like every other teenager, he loves console gaming and computers. Like most elder brothers, he is always landed with being responsible for his younger siblings, a good friend to have laughs with, but keeps his deepest, darkest secrets to himself. Currently he works part-time at a store selling IT products over the weekend in 1 Utama, until university life begins for him the following week.

On the other hand, ‘ti’, my younger brother, is a sociable and outgoing person when it comes to interacting with others. He has a wide circle of friends, but his growing addiction for online gaming is stealthily creeping up on him. Just name any online game; Gunz, Ragnarok Online, Gunbound, DoTA and expect him to have played it at least once before with great vigor. He can probably name all the items and equipments you can get from each game, or how to perform a certain trick, or warning other players to be watchful of angles and wind speed while taking aim at an enemy; truly, a veteran player. He is a Form 3 student, and this worries my parents to some extent since he is sitting for PMR later this year, and still hasn’t woken up from his illusion to focus and study.

That was my family - a mild exterior compared to the slightly more eccentric being, me. In contrast to my brothers, I am the full-fledged bookworm, the one who steals random reading material from someone else’s room just to re-read them for the umpteenth time. I enjoy delving in various form of art, including drawing, basic computer graphics – currently I am fiddling around with my Adobe Photoshop CS2, designing websites, bathroom singing, lomographics, playing the piano and sometimes, when my mood is up for the challenge, poetic angst.

Japan, Japanese, its culture and music, anime and manga; that is my current obsession. I picked it up not too long ago, when I was in Form 2. What intrigued me so much about anime and manga was the fact that it was a new language, good art, and most of all, the fact that not many people I knew even knew about its existence. I love to be out of the ordinary, with ‘strange’ hobbies and ‘stranger’ obsessions – I suppose it is eccentricity in a way, but everyone has a longing to stand out from others, do they not? So this is my little quirk that differentiates me, and I would do anything to go to Japan and live as a student, even if it is just for a day.

As often as possible, I will try not to have a negative opinion over things, but some just ask for it, like smokers’ smoking habit. I do not deny smokers their hobby, but it is those who practice idiotic habits like throwing cigarette butts anywhere, smoking even though the blind can clearly read the sign ‘Non-Smoking Area’ and even blowing smoke into one’s face that I abhor. Cruelty against the helpless, be it man, animal or plant, is also beyond my acceptability of human behavior. Needless to say, those without common courtesy do not gain my respect or liking either.

To enjoy writing is one, but to find sources that inspire it is quite another. Music inspires me to write. Songs with cheerful tunes cause my language to be more relaxed, more colloquial and accessible to those not familiar with flowery terms. In this manner also do my personal feelings inspire me. When angry, I channel it to pen and paper and attack a subject (it could be a recent happening that triggered it). I open my five senses and savor everything slowly, like appreciating fine white wine, and it in turn inspires me.

If I ever aspire to be someone, it would be like my grandmother who I fondly call ‘guama’, simply because she is a stouthearted woman who is very friendly. What I respect about her most is that she knows what respect and being filial is all about, both very important lessons in being a child and parent in turn. As a dream, I have always wanted a career in the arts, whether it is journalism or graphic design or web design, but circumstance does not allow it. Faced by the warning, ‘only the best will survive this unforgiving world’, I seek to challenge it and someday hope to pursue it.

Totaling to about 1016 words. Don't ask me how I feel about it; I mainly wrote just to test my luck~ and in truth, I have no feelings for it. It just is a written piece, like what I would have written in a high-school English exam. Shame that I should look down on my own writing, but I suppose that's how I practice humility, to some extent.

Last night sut came over and asked me to help her with her math homework (mostly on logarithms, which I was never very good at XP) and yea, well...it helped her, I hope. I still haven't worked on the other questions she gave me but blargh, she shoulda found out the answers - will ask her later. Otherwise it's back to the pen and paper I go.

Bobby's going tonight, and I regret that I can't go, simply because of a silly mistake I made that got me into trouble, well, enough for me to miss this event. I hope she understands <_> Will call her later, and say byebye. I hope she finds life in melbourne fun, and what with chinyuan and denny and liyen and everyone else there, I'm sure she'll be fine.

Oh yeahhhh...for the last few days, my computer KO-ed. Yet another to add to the list of minus-points. T____T The computer shop called me just a few minutes ago, and told me my motherboard's KO. GAAAAHHH there goes another 180... Thank goodness it's February, the month of CNY and also the shortest month of the year XD It's okay, nothing can be too horrible for me to withstand. I am like a brickwall - I shall stand through sun, storm, rain or shine XD (okay, just being metaphorical - of course, it may apply in other situations too if you think carefully enough)