Tuesday, February 20, 2007

orientating the orientated

If there’s something really great about Gippsland, it’s the fact that I can see stars at night and that there are trees for miles around and practically everywhere you look.

The only thing I hate about it is that there are way more flies here than there ever will be in the city.

Breakfast: ham & cheese sandwich. Nice! Sharon & I thought we were late cause we woke up late.

After breakfast they had us sit around a coliseum-looking area to listen to the welcome speeches of various people… UNDER THE DAMNED HOT MORNING SUN. I swear we could feel ourselves cooking and our butt cheeks numbing as each syllable was being pronounced. To make it worse there’s this one female student who’s the vice-pres of Mugzoo (student union) who made her speech… really..really… long which made it pretty much unbearable. She was practically weaving long stories on her life story which I’m pretty sure not many people were in the mood to listen to simply because the heat was starting to really sting and I suppose if we were there for another ½ hour I reckon we could smell some cooked flesh.

“What’s she bangin’ on about, coming from a mixed bag… it’s all in Victoria, the bloody same state! Whatever it is, it’s still in Australia.” – Farah, 2007 on the unbearably long speech

The little introduction with the faculty was boring cause it was just introducing Monash almost exactly like it does in the handbook… come on, I don’t need to hear this… and some stuff regarding Allocate which I had already done a few months ago.

I didn’t really get the chance to get lost until I was in the library awhile ago after the meeting with the faculty, lost in an Albert Hitchcock book of ghost stories. Some of them quite entertaining, some of them more supernatural than anything else, but really, nothing beats Edgar Allan Poe. The library really is a wonderful place to be cause it’s not such a cooped up space, there are nice lounge chairs (not exactly a sofa) that overlook the greenery (imo the trees look abit withered, that’s probably due to the drought) and best of all, the library is air-conditioned so it’s a great place to be X3

In the middle of the afternoon I decided to head back to make some lunch. Nothing special really, just eggs & toast which was enough since I wasn’t that hungry. To my utter delight their kitchen’s pretty well equipped; most of the cooking utensils are available, including a rice cooker! X3 Yay I can have rice!

Later in the afternoon went for a little bus tour around the nearby towns where we could do shopping, find out where to catch the train to Melbourne and find out mostly from Eileen and Tina where to buy cheaper goods, which came in really useful. I guess Sharon & I will go down next week or the following week~

Came back for dinner, basically it was the same stuff as Sunday so yeah it wasn’t that great. However, the movie after (40 Year Old Virgin) was nice, hilarious, crude and all about sex. Most of it anyway. Bryon was nice enough to ask whether I’d wanted anything from McD’s since a bunch of them were heading out there anyway. Got a sundae! XD

I’m just thankful that the orientation for tomorrow doesn’t start early. And I’m going to Luna Park on Thursday! X3